One Woman Can…The Mary Kay Foundation
The Mary Kay FoundationSM was created in 1996, and its mission is two-fold: to fund research of cancers affecting women and to help prevent domestic violence while raising awareness of the issue. Since the Foundation’s inception, it has awarded $31 million to shelters and programs addressing domestic violence prevention and $18 million to cancer researchers and related causes throughout the United States.
Mary Kay Ash inspired us with her belief in success for all people, most notably women. As an experienced leader in the business world she felt it vital that all women should have the opportunity to attain their goals and never be limited by anything but their own imagination and drive to succeed. A person is actually a product of their own thoughts; and when you think big, you achieve big things.
Consistently, our donors have joined with us in big, big ways to support Mary Kay's dream of eliminating cancers that affect women and ending domestic violence. They are truly impressive and inspiring! Their steadfast commitment and heartfelt energies have enabled the Foundation to make a difference in the lives of women and their families through grants and creative initiatives. Our support for vital programs has surged from $500,000 in 1997 to $3.6 million in 2004 to almost $5 million in 2012. Here are highlights of what we accomplished together in 2012:
• Granted 150 domestic violence shelters $20,000 each – a total of $3 million
• Awarded 13 respected doctors and medical scientists $100,000 each in cancer research grants – a total of $1.3 million
• Donated $400,000 to CancerCare Inc., a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing free professional help to people with cancer, for its Touching Hearts program
• Raised $411,000 from donations at Seminar 2012
• Raised more than $136,000 in the Dallas and Northeast Branch annual MK5K®
• Raised more than $90,000 for the Team Up for Women!® campaign
By sustaining our big hopes, dreams and actions, we will continue to be a positive force in the world. If you know an organization that should apply for one of our domestic violence shelter grants, please direct them to The Mary Kay Foundation website. Applications are available now at marykayfoundation.org.