Pink Changing Lives - Part One
Thank you Rhonda for giving me the opportunity to share information about the work that we are doing to end domestic violence.
Many of you know that October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. But what you may not know is that ending violence against women is one of the primary initiatives supported by Mary Kay Inc. and The Mary Kay Foundation. Around here, we call our efforts at doing well by doing good Pink Changing LivesSM.
From the moment Mary Kay Ash founded our company in 1963, she always felt our primary mission was to enrich the lives of women. This is one of the reasons Mary Kay felt strongly that as an organization, we needed to support women’s shelters and those dealing with domestic abuse. I worked with Mary Kay for years and can tell you when she felt strongly about an issue, she acted on it. And as a Company, so do we. We feel strongly that violence against women must be stopped.
Mary Kay Inc. and The Mary Kay Foundation have made a long-term commitment to support shelters and programs aimed at preventing, or at least, mitigating domestic violence. In total, we have donated more than $22 million to women’s shelters and programs addressing domestic violence. But it’s so much more than just writing a check. Along with the money we dedicate to this issue, we also look for unique opportunities that can truly make a difference to women dealing with abuse. Some of the few things we’ve done include:
- Donating $20,000 to 150 women’s shelter in the United States in honor of Domestic Violence Awareness Month. That is a total of $3 million per year to women’s shelters.
- Lobbying Congress for the federal Violence Against Women Act and its renewal; lobbying State Legislatures to help educate teenagers about dating violence.
- Providing grants to fund the salary of a special prosecutor for family violence crimes, in the District Attorney office.
- Underwriting an interactive DVD and curriculum addressing teen dating violence.
- Building outdoor nature environments at five women’s shelters this year to help children heal from the trauma suffered from being in an abusive home. Look for more details about this exciting project later this month.
As an organization, we don’t feel like we’ve gone above and beyond. We feel like we are simply doing our part. Mary Kay Inc. and The Mary Kay Foundation will continue to work towards the goal of ending violence against women.